Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Diggin' Up Trash.....I am not a Garbage Collector

Since my junior year in high school I have wanted to be an archaeologist. I have always loved history and traveling. My favorite part was going to museums, battlefields, ancient landmarks, etc. and "seeing" history for myself. It really brings it to life for me. My least favorite part was sitting in a classroom memorizing dates, that to this day I can't remember. So, archaeology seemed like the best option.

The funny part is when I tell most people what I want to be when I "grow up." I see their eyes glaze over and the robotic head movement begin. Some are even honest with me and tell me it just sounds so boring to them. Ha! I laugh and try to explain to them the excitement and thrill in essentially digging up hundred of years old trash. It's all I can do but fall asleep too.

But, I do find a thrill in it. It's so cool (for lack of better term) to touch a pot made by hands centuries ago or read a letter that a soldier in the Civil War wrote to his dear wife. To know and see with your eyes that these people you read about in textbooks are real. To turn 2D into 3D is so eye opening and preferably a better way to learn and explore more of their history.

Now in my senior year of college, I am having my doubts. With my mom gone I am wondering if I need to live so far from home (Greece is where I really want to live). I wonder if financial stability should be an issue, when it use to not. You do not get paid very much for being an archaeologist. I have all these doubts, but at the same time I know this is where I want to be. My mom always told me she would dig ditches to get me where I wanted to be if she had to. So, for myself and my family who supported me, and for all those that told me the negative sides to this future, I am doing it. I graduate in December (hopefully) with a Bachelor of Science in History. Then, it's a semester in field school and two more years getting a Master's in Biblical Archaeology.

So here's to two (or three) more years in school. More importantly, here's to hoping you follow your dreams as well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment