Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Worry

Worry has been on my mind a lot lately. Not my own worry, but others.

I tend not to worry very much. I put my worry in prayer and then let it go. Sometimes, I think I do not worry enough. I am a procrastinator and therefore stress out at the last minute. Yet, I still do not worry about it much. I tend to follow my friend Lauren's favorite phrase, "It is what it is" or in my words, "What will be will be."

However, there are many people in my life that let worry consume them. I wish sometimes that I could take on their worry. I wish so much that I could relate and have better advice for them. I do tend to be well skilled in calming them down, but most times their worries are so much that I feel helpless.

Even more, sometimes, I feel totally ignorant, arrogant, and selfish. I tend to think that their worries are meaningless and so simple that they should not worry at all. I think to myself, "Why worry about this?" It seems so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. But then I think, "Well, there are many areas in my life that when I do worry others would see it as simple and just a tiny problem compared to others." I have to remind myself that my problems are not the only ones and others may have even greater problems than me.

So, if you are someone who worries a lot I'd like to leave you with what the Bible says about worry and in honor of national poetry month, a poem I wrote about worry.

Philippians 4:6-7 ESV
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

1 Peter 5:7 ESV
Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.

Matthew 11:28-30 ESV
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Proverbs 12:25 ESV
Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.

Luke 1:37 ESV
For nothing will be impossible with God.”

Matthew 6:25 ESV
“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?

Psalm 55:22 ESV
Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.

Jeremiah 29:11 ESV
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Matthew 6:33-34 ESV
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.


My poem deals with trust, control, and worry. A few weeks ago we had a girls devo about trusting in God and letting go of our need to control. Especially as women, we tend to have this crazy need to control everything. We learned in the devo that trust is the muzzle to control. Trusting in God silences our selfish control issues. And what is worry if not telling God I can control this? Worry is saying to God I do not trust you enough you to take care of the situation. I can control this and I can take care of the situation myself. Worry is saying you do not need God. But putting your worries in prayer and letting God control the situation is trusting in him. And when you trust in God, he provides and takes care of you. He answers all prayer.

Worry

It hardens the heart
And says to thee
I do not trust.
For what is worry,
If not distrust in you?
But once put in prayer
My burdens are lifted.
I know that you will answer
I know you will provide.
For you are the Savior of man
The Great I Am.
My worries are so tiny
In comparison they are feeble
I put my trust
And need to control
In your able hands
I worry no more
And now I pray
To heal others
To show them they need not fret
That worry is but
Satan's trap
I pray they know
Of your power and might
That you can heal
And take away their fright
I pray to thee
I pray to thee










No comments:

Post a Comment