Wednesday, April 10, 2013

National Poetry Month

I was going to post a poem daily to celebrate National Poetry Month, but of course due to my great skill in laziness I have not done so. However, I will try in the last bit of the month to post as many poems as I can. The poem for today is one I wrote for my college's literary publication, Images In Ink. The poem is called: Where Are You? I wrote it not too long after my mom's death.

Where Are You?

Wet against my cheek,
A waterfall collides
With rough untouched skin.
Beneath my shirt
Is a mad pounding,
Still and silent to others
But hard in my ear.
My body is shaking.
Your cold perfect face
Lays on a soft pillow.
Flowers atop your legs,
My hand presses
Against your icy fingers
And I place a kiss
On your snowy cheek.
My throat closes,
Yet my chest rises
And falls faster than ever.
I am suffocating,
Drowning in ice water.
This was too sudden.
Like a small town,
Gone in the blink of an eye.
All the things
I wanted to say
But now I cannot
We should have had forever.
Two months late I sit here
Where your name is carved in stone.
I say, "Hello, I miss you. When are you coming home?"
Still fresh in my heart,
The pain tears at me everyday.
I am only pretending in life.
Wet against my cheek,
A waterfall collides
With rough untouched skin.


No comments:

Post a Comment