Wednesday, April 3, 2013

At My Boiling Point

Anger

Such a powerful word. Such a powerful feeling. This, to me, is probably the most difficult feeling to control.

Ephesians 4:26 reads, Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger. I have always had difficulty with this verse. I always wondered how you could be angry and not sin. Is not anger itself a sin? I have a strong feeling I have never followed this advice. In fact, I know I have always sinned when I have been angry. It happens so infrequently that it is even harder for me to control and I always let it out in the wrong way.

Typically, I am not an angry person. However, when I do get angry it is like a ticking time bomb that has finally reached zero. And usually, unfortunately, the anger I exert is put on one person that does not deserve it. I always bury my anger at people inside and when I finally explode it is thrown onto one person, who usually has committed a small "crime" against me. I use quotations because we all know I am more at fault than anyone.

Recently, in the last few weeks, I have come to a better understanding of how I can be angry and sin not, at least in one sense. I had a situation occur that I will not divulge too much information on. Basically, however, I was misinformed about a situation that involved my future. I became very angry at this misinformant, probably the angriest I have been in a long time. I realize in hindsight how I could have handled it without sinning, but first I will tell you how I really handled it.

Thankfully, I did not blow up on the person I was angry at (a step in the right direction). However, I did call my sister and rant and vent to her. I see this as a sin, because even though she has no one to tell and is a third party, it was gossip. I also sought advice from two close friends about the issue. I did all this but did not speak to the person I was angry with.

I believe I could have handled this situation much better and without sin. If I had calmly spoken with the person I was angry with and let them know the problem and discussed it like adults I believe we could have worked something out. However now I feel that the relationship has been chipped at a little bit. There is a lack of trust in both sides and I don't know how to fix it.

Anger is such a difficult area. There is a lot of "muddy water" if you will. Still I wonder how to be angry and not sin. This phrase blows right past my capacity to understand. So, I ask you for any thoughts, comments, or criticisms you may have on the subject. Feel free to discuss freely with me

Any thoughts? I hope your day is filled with light and purpose and you learn something new. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment