Tuesday, September 17, 2013

At the name of Jesus every knee shall bow



When is the last time you got down on your knees and prayed? Have you ever cried during prayer? Are you a consistent person in prayer and how do you become consistent in prayer? I Thessalonians 5:17 tells us to pray constantly. When you really think about it, this is a very difficult thing to do. How can you pray constantly? How can your mind always be in prayer when you have school, work, and a social life?

I want to say that I am no authority on this subject. In fact, I am writing about it because I struggle with the idea of prayer and constant prayer all the time. It is one of my biggest struggles. However, through many devotionals and lessons I have heard and been a part of, I feel that I have some new insight on the matter. I have heeded the advice given to me and I have started practicing it out in my daily life. Already I have seen much improvement in my spiritual and even my physical life.  

First of all, it is important to note that I do not believe this verse is telling us that we have to be saying a prayer every second of everyday. Praying constantly does not require us to be in prayer even throughout school and classes. That would just be a distraction. However, I think if we set our mind on God as soon as we wake up in the morning then our day becomes more focused and it will be easier to stay in prayer and communication with him. 
Second, I think that praying constantly does not require an outspoken prayer said constantly throughout the day. I think it can be thoughts running through your head with your mind still on God. If I go to class and make it there on time, I thank God. If I do well on a test, I thank God. Give him praise daily. Realize that none of the good that happens to you is on your own accord, it is His will and we should praise him daily. 

Third, there needs to be some sort of discipline in your physical life. By scheduling out your day or working out or anything that disciplines your body you are training your body to become a "well oiled machine" of sorts. I say this to say that by disciplining your physical life it will be much easier to discipline your spiritual life. By disciplining your spiritual life, you are placing God at the forethought of your mind as he should be. 
 
By training your mind to focus on God, your schedule easily shifts from a habit to something that becomes enjoyable. A passion for God will arise I believe like never before. When you say you are praying for someone, you actually do. When you are struggling, the first thing you do is go to prayer with Him. When you realize that God is there and answers every prayer (Psalm 145:18-20) your day is carried in confidence and you go before others spreading his word and telling of the power of Him and prayer to Him.

What struggles are you facing? Do you know someone who needs to be lifted up to God? I challenge you this week to make an honest prayer to God, put your whole trust in Him and know that he will answer you and see how he answers you and the glory and prize you will receive.

Much love,
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment